Monday, November 12, 2007

Strawberry Fields Forever

This weekend I rediscovered a love for the Beatles. My CD collection, like the velveteen rabbit, has been sadly neglected since I started listening to downloaded music on my computer. Going through my CDs the other day, I happened upon the second Beatles anthology with its bright green granny smith apple jewel cover. For the Benefit of Mr. Kite, I popped that baby into my computer to cozy up with my much-loved digital collection. It kind of made my weekend.

The Beatles are so much a part of pop culture that it's easy to forget that individual connection you feel to their music when you're listening to it. I've never meditated, but the feeling I get when I'm listening to certain music is what I imagine it would be like. The raw emotion of their songs is so consuming it's unbelievable. Across the Universe, Let It Be, A Day in the Life . . . absolutely amazing.

I also saw August Rush this weekend, which I really loved. Once you get over the cheesiness factor and accept the movie as an unrealistic fairy tale, it's really a sweet movie. The music totally made this movie too. Jonathan Rhys Meyer's character has this scene with his (unknown to him) son in the movie where he tells him to never give up on his music, no matter what. Whenever life goes wrong, your music will always be there. It made me kind of sad because I feel like I've given up on my music. I hardly play anymore and I always have some excuse for myself about being too busy. But I really miss it. Today I'm going to go search out the undergrad practice rooms and start playing at least a couple of times a week. Even if no one else ever hears, I still want to be playing again.

So that was my weekend of music! It capped off with the Hugh Grant movie Music and Lyrics. Now I have Pop Goes My Heart permanently stuck in my head. It's going to be a long day. . .

No comments: